In the meeting of March 2nd 2012 in Rome the detailed activity of 2012 was organized.
In the occasion, the CLWG confirmed that are still lacking evidence of the efficacy of domperidone in canine leishmaniosis due to a reduced number of papers to support the action of this drug. In addition, the CLWG stated the same questioning for the action of the vaccine that will be launched in the Italian market from Virbac (CaniLeish®). The CLWG regret that the scientific documentation supporting the vaccine introduction was available only after the product was already disclosed to the common media directed to the consumers besides dog’s owner.
A price of 1,000 euros for the best oral communication presented during the Canine Leishmaniosis session inside the annual congress of SCIVAC in Rimini from next 8-10 June will be awarded.
The guidelines of CLWG about prognosis and monitoring of canine leishmaniosis were discussed in detail. These guidelines will be published soon in the Veterinaria journal. A similar paper will be prepared also for the prestigious Veterinary Journal.
The CLWG also approved definitively the program of Canine Leishmaniosis session that will be held inside the annual congress SCIVAC of RIMINI next Saturday June 9th. The program includes the presentation of two main lectures and three scientific communications as below reported:
- “Course, prognosis and monitoring of dogs affected by leishmaniosis” presented by Fondati A and Roura X.
- “Pathogenesis and management of proteinuria in the dog affected by leishmaniosis” presented by Zatelli A. and Zini E.
- “Clinical efficacy of a Leisguard®-based program strategically established for the prevention of canine leishmaniosis in endemic areas with low prevalence”
- “Efficacy of combined therapy with meglumine antimoniate and domperidone for treatment of canine leishmaniosis”
- “Test of thyroid function in dogs affected by leishmaniosis: preliminary study”